Sunday, August 28, 2011

Easy Beef Stroganoff

Tonight, we had Beef Stroganoff for dinner.  My hubby loves the Hamburger Helper version of this but me- not so much.  I found a recipe a few years back on All Recipes but I've tweaked it a little over time.  I will say that tonight I reduced the sour cream significantly because I wanted my 13 month old daughter to be able to enjoy it with us.  It wasn't as rich and creamy as it usually is. So next time, I'll dish out her serving before I add all of the sour cream!  Live and learn!

 Originally, this recipe called for freshly chopped onion but I prefer to use the frozen seasoning blend.  It has onions, celery, peppers, and parsley!  It's great for chili, spaghetti, tacos, etc!!  I always have this in my freezer!!!  There's nothing worse than chopping onions!!


 Here's a closeup of that frozen seasoning blend!


 Start by sauteing the seasoning blend with about a tbsp of EVOO.  (about 3-5 minutes)  You'll want to put a small pot of water on to boil.  This dish is served with egg noodles!


 Then add in a pound of ground beef.  I used lean ground beef.  Drain off the liquid and then stir in the bouillon, garlic powder, salt, pepper.


 Then add the mushrooms!  I ended up using my spatula to roughly chop these.


 Continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are heated through. 


 Remove from heat (very important)!  Then add sour cream and stir.  Remember, I only used half the amount this time.


Stir in the egg noodles!


 Dinner is served!!

Easy Beef Stroganoff
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2tsp. pepper
1 t. beef bouillon granules
2/3 c. onion (I used a frozen seasoning blend.)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
1 1/2 c. egg noodles cooked and drained

In a large skillet, saute onion blend in about a TBSP of olive oil over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.  Add ground beef.  When meat is browned, drain excess fat from skillet.  Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, bouillon and stir in.  Add mushrooms and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are heated through.  Remove from heat (very important) and add sour cream.  Stir in cooked egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment