Friday, February 1, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Bars

Apparently, bananas aren't so popular around my house at the moment.  This week I had four brown bananas sitting on my kitchen counter.  The first two went into a loaf of my chocolate chip banana bread and you can find that recipe HERE.  The other two sat another day on my counter before I found this recipe in an old cookbook.  It was a cookbook that was written by a ladies group in my nearby hometown (many years ago).  You know the kind of cookbook - the ones where a familiar person's name (maybe even a relative) is under each recipe.  Those are my favorite cookbooks!!  When I found this recipe, I knew I had a way to use those bananas.  The original recipe called for the bars to be baked in a jelly roll pan, but as I was mixing the batter I knew that might be a problem.  It just didn't seem like enough batter for such a large pan.  I decided to bake them in my trusty 9x9 brownie pan.  They turned out to be the texture of a snack cake and were so scrumptious!!  So moist!!  You've gotta try this one!


 
Cream butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, 1 egg, and 2 mashed bananas.  Add in dry ingredients.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

 
 See how they are golden brown and pulling away from the edge of the pan??  Perfection!  I did the toothpick test too!  These are so good and my 2 year old loved them!

 
Banana Chocolate Chip Bars
 
3/4 c. butter
3/4c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
2 mashed bananas (overripe bananas will work well for this recipe)
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 cup chocolate chips ( I used Ghiradelli Bittersweet chocolate chips - just because I like them!!)
 
Cream first six ingredients.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Gradually incorporate dry ingredients into wet mixture.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Spread batter evenly into greased 9x9 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely and cut into bars.
 
Shared on:
 

3 comments:

  1. They look delicious! Thank you so much for linking them up with Foodie Friends Friday! Can't wait to see what you bring next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete