Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Breakfast Burritos (Freezer Recipe)

I've been searching for some ideas for breakfast that are quick and easy and found some great ideas on Pinterest and on other recipe blogs.  I absolutely love McDonald's breakfast burritos and when I started seeing recipes to make some for the freezer, I knew I had to try one.  Also, in the spring of this year, we will welcome a new addition to our family.  With a new baby and a very active toddler, recipes like this one will ensure that I have something quick and easy on hand for breakfast!!  I adapted this recipe from one I found at Skinny Mom's Kitchen!  She has more freezer recipes so please go and check out her site!!  You won't be disappointed. 

This recipe is fairly easy though it does take a little time. Hopefully, the next time will go a little faster with some prior experience!! LOL! Truly, the most time consuming part was preparing the burritos for the freezer. With that said, I now have 19 breakfast burritos in the freezer!! So I guess some extra time is worth those many mornings that I will now have a quick, easy, and tasty breakfast!  I couldn't help thinking that this would be such a great recipe for older kids to help mom prepare for the freezer.  I'm envisioning an assembly line which would make quick work of these little bundles!!

 You will need 1 lb. of your favorite breakfast sausage, 1 dozen eggs, 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa (I used my salsa recipe) , 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.  You will also need 16-20 tortillas.  I used Mission brand tortillas and they were so very easy to work with!!  If you are using a very chunky salsa, you may want to consider adding a little more.  My salsa is more pureed and I knew more than a half a cup would be too much for this recipe.   Don't forget to also have plenty of plastic wrap and foil around so that you can put these in the freezer!!


 In a large skillet, cook breakfast sausage.

 Whisk the dozen eggs with 3/4 cup milk.

 When sausage is finished cooking, add in egg mixture and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.  Cook until eggs are set and then add in cheese and salsa and mix well cooking until cheese is melted.  Remove from heat and allow the egg mixture to cool slightly (about 5-10 minutes). 

 Begin preparing your burritos!

 Scoop 1/3 cup of mixture into the center of each tortilla.  Tuck in the sides (left & right) and then roll up the bottom and then fold over the top making sure the sides stay tucked.  Place burritos seam side down until you are ready to wrap them.  I rolled about 5 at a time and then wrapped. 

 I wrapped each burrito in plastic wrap and then covered each one in foil!

 This recipe made 19 burritos!! 

When you are ready to have a burrito, simply remove it from the wrapping and place it in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.  (You may have to experiment with times on cooking because let's face it - everyone's microwave cooks a little differently!).  FYI:   I have a 1000 watt microwave.   Be careful when taking the first bite- the inside can get pretty steamy!!

Breakfast Burritos (Freezer Recipe)

adapted from : Skinny Mom's Kitchen

1 dozen eggs
1 lb. breakfast sausage
3/4 c. milk
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
1/4 tsp. black pepper

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble breakfast sausage.  Whisk 1 dozen eggs with milk and add to cooked sausage along with 1/4 tsp. black pepper.  Cook until eggs are set and then add in cheese and salsa.  Cook and mix well until cheese is melted.  Remove from heat and allow mixure to cook slightly (5-10 minutes).  Spoon 1/3 cup of mixture into each tortilla and roll into a burrito.  To freeze, wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and cover with foil.  To heat, remove frozen burrito from plastic wrap and foil.  Heat on a microwave safe dish for about 2 1/2 minutes. 

Shared at:

Chef in Training Tuesday Talent Show

Raising 4 Princesses

Wonka Wednesday Party

Recipes for My Boys

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a good recipe to serve @our Sat morn(6:30) men's monthly prayer breakfast. Do you have any thoughts on time & temp to bake several of these at one time?
    Linda
    lldietz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the Skinny Mom's Kitchen website, you can reheat these in a toaster oven or panini press. I don't see why you couldn't prepare a sheet pan of them for a large group. I'm no expert on this but if it were me I would play it safe and go with a 350 degree oven. It's hard to say how long they would take from frozen. (Maybe 15 minutes or so??) If you try the oven method, please let us know your thoughts!!!! Thanks Linda!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing.....I make every year for our float trip! Instead of salsa, i use a can of drained Rotel, and a little added diced velveeta along with mexican cheese!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a fairly healthy good protein breakfast that my hubby might really enjoy! Thanks Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! What a great freezer recipe! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next Tuesday!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    http://www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so good! I made them but left out the ham and bacon and added yellow and green bell peppers as well as some fresh tomatoes and I left out the potatoes. Soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete