Friday, September 16, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

It's been a few weeks since I've made any cupcakes and thought it was about time I try out a chocolate recipe.  I've been looking at several and finally settled on combining my vanilla cupcake recipe and another one I had found.  This is what I came up with.  When I made my vanilla cupcakes, the recipe called for buttermilk.  This time I settled on sour cream.  I use sour cream in my Texas sheet cake and it's always so moist and delicious.  I ended up adding more cocoa at the end because the batter just didn't seem quite chocolaty enough!  I'm glad I did!!

The chocolate buttercream recipe came from Jennifer, a friend of mine from high school.  It's been so great getting reacquainted with her on Facebook.  We both have a love for all things cooking and baking and it's so fun to swap recipes and kitchen stories with her.  She shared this recipe with me a month or so ago and I've been dying to try it!  Well, let me tell you, it was worth the wait!  This is going to be my go-to chocolate frosting from now on!!  It's so YUMMY!!  Hope you give these a try!!  Don't forget the sprinkles!!!



 Start by mixing the melted butter, vanilla, and sugar.

 Add in one egg.

 Then the sour cream.

 Mix until well combined.  I forgot to take a photo of the cups filled with batter.  Sorry!  Be sure to fill them between 1/2-2/3 full.  I always use my medium cookie scoop to fill the cups.  It makes for uniform cupcakes and even baking!  Works like a charm!

 Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.  This recipe yielded 15 cupcakes!

 Allow to cool completely!

 On to that delicious frosting!!!

 Start with 6 T. of room temperature butter.

 Add vanilla and mix well.

 Gradually incorporate small amounts of powdered sugar and cocoa.  Alternate with small amounts of milk.

Until you get this. . . MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

 I used my 1M Swirl Tip to frost these.  There was only a little frosting left.  This was the pefect amount of frosting for the amount of cupcakes I made!  What a match!!

 Of course, I had to add in a few AUTUMN sprinkles!!!

Scrumptious!!!

Chocolate Cupcakes
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
6 T. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sour cream

Melt 6 T. butter and mix well with sugar and vanilla.  Add one egg and sour cream.  Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.  Add dry ingredients gradually to creamed mixture.  Mix well after each addition.  Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins/cupcake liners.  Each cup should be 1/2-2/3 full.  Bake @ 350 for 15-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

6 T. butter, softened
2 2/3c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/3 c. milk
1 t. vanilla

Mix softened butter and vanilla until creamy.  Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk mixing after each addition.  Mix until light and fluffy.

Shared on:
Chef in Training Tuesday Talent Show
Wonka Wednesday Party
Everyday Mom's Meals Church Supper #10


3 comments:

  1. THAT FROSTING LOOKS DELISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so sweet! Thanks for the mention! It's been a lot of fun being facebook friends after all these years!
    These looks SO yummy! I am certain we'll all be caked out after today with Alyssa's party...but this will be my next cake recipe to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies!! These are sooo yummy! This cupcake and frosting were just meant to be together!! :)

    ReplyDelete