Saturday, September 10, 2011

Zucchini Casserole

Every summer, a friend of ours brings me a zucchini from their garden.  This year he brought me two!!  I always make this casserole!  I found this recipe on http://www.food.com/ and have only made minor changes.  You can find the original recipe here. Rather than chopping an onion, I prefer to use a frozen seasoning blend (onion, celery, red pepper, parsley).  I used a little less salt as well!


I only used four cups of the zucchini pictured (about 1/2 of this zucchini).  I will use the other half for another recipe.  You will also need 1/2 -3/4 c. of the seasoning blend (depending on your taste), 1/2 T. minced garlic, 1/2 cup sour cream ( I didn't quite have enough tonight), 1 can evaporated milk, 1/2 c. shredded cheese, 2 T. butter, 2 T. flour and salt.
Start by sauteing 4 cups diced zucchini, garlic and seasoning blend in 2 T. butter for about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.
Add in 2 T. flour and about a 1/2 tsp. salt and stir well. 
Mix well.  Add in evaporated milk, sour cream, and shredded cheese and stir well.
Pour into prepared 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Serve immediately!!!!!
The cheesy sauce in this recipe reminds me of scalloped potatoes.  Cheesy and delicious!!


Zucchini Casserole

4 cups zucchini, diced
1/2 c.- 3/4c. frozen seasoning blend (onions, celery, red pepper,  parsley)
1/2 T. minced garlic
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 5 oz. can evaporated milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese (you could certainly use more!!)

Saute zucchini, onion seasoning blend, and garlic in butter for about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add flour and salt and stir well.  Add  evaporated milk, sour cream, and shredded cheese and stir well.  Pour into prepared 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment