Friday, September 9, 2011

Crockpot Tortilla Soup

This is another recipe I received at my bridal shower in 2004.  The first time I made this I accidentally used black beans instead of the ranch style beans that it calls for, but it was so delicious that I never went back to the original recipe.  This is my favorite soup and not only because it's so delicious!!  It's also a cinch to make!!!  I make this throughout the fall and winter and almost every year on Christmas Eve!  Serve with shredded cheese (I like the Mexican blend!), sour cream, and tortilla chips!!!  I get lots of requests for this recipe!

 This is such a yummy soup!!!!

 Here's what you'll need!  Yes, that's it!!  If you know how to use a can opener, you can make this one!!


 Place 3-4 chicken breasts in crockpot.   I like to spray my crockpot with a nonstick spray.  Also, I like to season the chicken with salt and pepper.


 Add 2 cans of Rotel.  I use the original flavor.  I think it's important to put the Ro-Tel on the chicken first to give it great flavor!

 Drain and rinse black beans.


 Add black beans over Ro-Tel.

 Add 1 can corn undrained.


 Add 2 cans chicken broth.  Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 10-12 hours.


 At the end of cooking time, remove chicken and shred.  This won't take much effort.  That chicken will be fork tender!!!  Return shredded chicken to crockpot.

 Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips!!


This recipe always gets rave reviews!!!!  Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!


Join Aggie’s Kitchen and Real Mom Kitchen to share a family favorite Winter Comfort Food recipe for the Bush’s Beans Recipe Exchange!” 

Crockpot Tortilla Soup
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 small cans Ro-Tel (I use the Original flavor.)
1 15 oz. can Bush's Beans black beans, (*drained and rinsed*)
1 can corn
2 cans chicken broth

Place chicken in bottom of crockpot.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add  Ro-Tel, beans, corn, and chicken broth.  Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or on High for 6 hours.  Shred chicken and return to crockpot!  Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips!!

Shared on:
http://www.gooseberrypatch.typepad.com/

18 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm thinking of adding it to next week's menu plan!

    I've pinned this recipe to my Recipes To Try (Slow Cooker) board on pinterest!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/249189197/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison- Guess I missed your comment. I was just on Pinterest and saw my pic of tortilla soup pop up! Cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also pinned it and just finished putting it all in the crockpot! I'm just curious, does it need any seasonings?

    Kara
    www.swindellonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't season it. The Rotel will add lots of flavor. If you find that the seasoning is not spicy enough, you might consider trying another flavor of Rotel. There are a few different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a good recipe, use all these ingredients (chicken fully cooked &no broth or tomatoes, unless u like fresh ones) over romaine lettuce top with cheese & a few crush tortilla chips and use the hidden valley spicey ranch. It's a fabulous south west salad, u can even have with out the chicken and it's still great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pinning this recipe! i've seen a few tortilla soup recipes but yours looks really good! Please come over to my blog today and join our Foodie Friends Friday linky party! We have a giveaway going on also! Would love you to join us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up and entering Bush's Winter Comfort Food Recipe Exchange!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this yesterday after finding it on Pinterest . Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this today and I was not expecting it to have so much flavor! It was amazing and the chicken just fell to pieces! One of my favorite pinterest finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making this as we speak!! Cant wait till dinner tonight!! Stay tuned for review!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks ladies! I just made this earlier this week! It's definitely a favorite at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making this tonight with a couple modifications. Used thighs rather than breast and used a chunky mild salsa rather than rotel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this the other night, and found there to be a little too much broth. I think I'll either add some flour or tortillas to thicken it up a little. Otherwise, the flavor was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will this work on high for 4 hours?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Approximately how many servings does this make? It sounds delicious and I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine is very watery. Not sure what I did wrong. :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making for a birthday party today!

    ReplyDelete