Monday, September 5, 2011

Tomato Pie

Yes, that's right!  TOMATO PIE!!  I know it probably sounds ridiculous, but trust me, it's delicious!!  My cousin sent a recipe for tomato pie to all of our family a few years ago.  I don't follow it exactly.  The original recipe calls for fresh basil and I usually don't have any on hand when I'm ready for tomato pie!! I use an Italian seasoning blend instead, and it's delicious. I also reduced the amount of garlic.  One of these days I'll grow some basil and try it her way! 


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 grated Parmesan, 1/8 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend. 

 Next, you will need an unbaked pie shell.  I suppose you could use a refrigerated crust but I prefer my own homemade pie crust!

 Set aside another 1/2 c. mozzarella.  Cut 5-6 fresh tomatoes into wedges with seeds removed.  Stir 1 T. minced garlic into the wedged tomatoes.


 Place empty pie shell in the oven.  Bake @450 degrees for 5 minutes.  Reduce oven temp to 375 degrees and bake another 8 minutes.  DO NOT POKE HOLES IN CRUST!  It will puff up and that's okay!!!!

 Remove pie shell from oven and sprinkle the 1/2 c. mozzarella over the hot crust.  Add tomato/garlic mixture.  I use a slotted spoon to add tomatoes in order to drain any excess liquid. 


 Spoon the mayonnaise/cheese mixture over the tomatoes.  Arrange foil around the crust or use a pie shield.  This will keep the crust from getting too overdone.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.




Yummy!!

Tomato Pie
prepared unbaked pie shell
1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, divided
5-6 fresh tomatoes
1 tsp.  Italian seasoning blend (or you could use fresh basil- about 1 cup)
1 T. minced garlic (2 cloves)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix together 1/2 c. mayonnaise, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 c. Parmesan,  1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend and 1/8 tsp.  pepper and set aside.  Bake prepared pie shell at 450 degrees for 5 minutes.  Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake an additional 8 minutes.  While crust is in oven, cut tomatoes in wedges and remove seeds.  Stir minced garlic into tomatoes.  Sprinkle 1/2 mozzarella over the hot pie crust and top with tomato/garlic mixture.  Spoon mayonnaise/cheese mixture over tomato layer.  Arrange foil or pie shield around crust.  Bake another 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees or until cheese begins to bubble.


Shared on:

Wonka Wednesday Party

3 comments:

  1. THIS LOOKS GORGEOUS!!!!! THANKS FOR LINKING UP AT WONKA WEDNESDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful :) I can't wait to make this .... yum
    marilyn..... !

    ReplyDelete